Sunday 31 January 2010

Secret Life of a NYC intern!

Hellloooooooooooooo! So after a week living it up as an intern in the ‘concrete jungle where dreams are made’ (as Alicia Keys puts it), I thought I should share my adventures with you thus far. Having arisen from a 14 hour slumber this morning after a hectic week, it appears that this lifestyle is very different from the student life I was living in Binghamton. My week began after my beautiful Binghamton posse (otherwise known as Lucy, Kate and Rosie) departed from our weekend in midtown Manhattan, which consisted mainly of eating, sleeping and shopping. Fun times! I then journeyed to Jody’s (friend at Columbia University) fabulous student digs all the way uptown to set up camp as the ‘apartment mom’ until I move to Greenwich Village next week!
I have taken advantage of the educational system in America and moved to Manhattan to intern instead of taking classes in Bing. So now I am the editorial intern at Ladies’ Home Journal, an older women’s lifestyle magazine.

Highlights so far have included the array of free food available after the food department have a photo shoot (yummy!) and the numerous free books that are up for grabs. Always up for new literary indulgences and free giveaways, my room is now stuffed with books on healthy dieting, how to get beautiful skin and how to live fabulously at 40 (I may have gotten slightly overexcited during my grabs!) I also got to meet Kenny the mail guy, which instantly evoked memories of that Friends’ episode where Phoebe mistakes Kenny the copy guy for Ralph Lauren! Haha! Although I was the only one who found this funny. Oh yeah and I’ve been doing some work too. Shocking piece of information for y’all is that even a magazine with an average readership of 50 will not feature a woman unless she is attractive and young! I have to research women who are active in charity work and the editors’ will not even look at a story unless I include a picture of a slim, young and pretty woman. Even the 50 year olds have to be exposed to the judgemental attitudes of the magazine industry. Shock horror! In spite of that indecency I have thoroughly enjoyed working there so far.

My wallet has certainly felt the weight of living in Manhattan. My grocery bill for the week was more than I spent in a month at Bing! However, I found an excellent bar where you get a free pizza with your drink! By the end of the night I didn’t even need to consume alcohol as I was so exuberated by all the free pizza! I also went to this fancy restaurant for Restaurant Week, which allows you to go to great restaurants for less. However, highlight of the week was discovering an Aroma (great Israeli cafe) in the city!!! Haha just realised that half this update has been about my excitement over food!

Living with Columbia University boys has certainly taught me a lot, not just about the fact that boys are smelly and don’t clean! I have been exposed to a breed of student that will volunteer at a homeless shelter or wake up at 7am to go to the library before the semester has even started! I even met a girl the other night who spent her winter break in Guatemala helping local farmers while I was in Miami sunbathing!

Anyhoooo I must dash and get ready to go to Butter tonight (not reference to more food, that is actual name of club). Will update you shortly when I move into my new digs, which I recently discovered has been upgraded to a bigger apartment...for the same price! So far, loving Manhattan!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment