Thursday 4 February 2010

Ey up mi duck!

Hi everyone,

My name's Ben and I am yet another TR. I'm first year PhD, researching U.S. policy towards Iran in the 1960s. I will be heading off to the States this summer to do some research in Austin, Boston, Washington, Binghamton and maybe a couple of other places. Very excited about getting to see lots of interesting places and do plenty of research.

Anyway, seeing as I am actually from Nottingham I thought I would give you some insight into our language (or rather some of the words you might hear but not know!):

Ey up mi duck = hello, my dear
Tar = thanks
Mardy = grumpy
Nesh = someone is Nesh if they're cold all the time
ya sen = yourself
me sen = myself
black over Bill's movva's = it looks like its going to rain
tuffees = sweets (not just toffees!)
gorra gerrit = got to get it
the offy = off licence/liqour store

That'll do I think. If anyone wants to add more feel free, or better yet, if people want to translate any American dialects I might hear on my travels that would be great.

Cheers, Ben

1 comment:

  1. Nice translation skills, Ben! For those of you that are new to the blog, TRs are our Travelling Researchers - postgraduate students whose research brings them to Canada and the USA for conferences, library visits and general academic fun.

    ReplyDelete