Wednesday 9 December 2009

My past weekend in Washington DC

This past weekend, I dropped my pen and paper and travelled the 5 strenuous hours (of which I slept for the majority) to Washinton DC. Oh the delights of Washington DC, the hub of intellect and history that has built the foundations of justice, political liberty and freedom for all. The centre for hope and change where thousands recently gathered on the steps of Capitol Hill to watch the inauguration of the first Black American president proclaim YES WE CAN!

Hence, you can imagine my surprise when I arrive on the steps of GW only to be pushed aside as a swarm of inebriated students rallied out of the building ready to party it up in Adams Morgan. Welcome to DC!

I arrived in DC where I met the wonderful Daniel Risner half-way through a play he was technically directing. He kindly hosted my weekend quest through the cultural and intellectual background of this American capital. To begin our ventures, we excitedly skipped along Pennsylvania Avenue eagerly hoping that President Obama’s dog may grace us with his presence on the lawn of the White House. However, I may have to ruin the image of the White House for those of you who haven’t visited as I was utterly disappointed to discover that the White House is just a big house... painted white. I know, I was indeed shocked too. I was somehow envisioning an aura of grandeur and splendor to emanate from the president’s residence. Instead I was confronted by a highly securitized Bel-Air style mansion. No traces of past presidency mishaps or aspects of spectacular architecture. I was more compelled by fellow tourists who meticulously tried to capture a shot of the White House without the iron-rod bars spoiling their view.

We then hopped along to the Lincoln Memorial whereby I enthusiastically raced up the stairs Rocky-style, humming the theme tune in my head. Daniel was not so enthusiastic and decided to opt for the elevator, calmly observing Lincoln as I arrived dripping with sweat and gasping for air. Not the ideal way I envisioned meeting a past president even if the monument is only a large replica. The intensity of the memorial captures the humble respect that America acquires for this assassinated president. As I turned I could see the Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool, a great historical site that has situated protesters of the Vietnam war, provided location for Dr. King’s famous ‘I have a Dream’ speech and where, my personal favorite, Forrest Gump was romantically reunited with his Jenny. What a remarkably significant site.
We departed from this historical arena, while Daniel revealed the reason that the Washington memorial was made with two different colored bricks. Believing that it had some political significance, he continued to jubilantly declare that construction had to pause mid-way through due to lack of finances, only to restart building when the brick had ceased being produced. Thus, a different colored brick had to be used. Oh welcome to the joys of Washington DC, the home of erratic decision-making and arbitrary cause of action.

In the midst of historical and political sights and scenes, Washington DC’s hip and trendy scene is ever-growing. As I walked along the sidewalk of Dupont Circle I was pleasantly hit by a warm and vibrant atmosphere. The playful and yet intellectual air was a comforting escape from the hectic environment in the CIW dining hall. And as the darkness shadows the museums and monuments in this city, the future leaders of this country put down their pens and embark on a night of frivolity and merriment. Pleasantly surprised by the diversity that Washington DC has to offer I can only hope that I can return soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment