Wednesday 2 December 2009

Adventures in December

Hi Everyone!

Emily here, a new TR with the International Office. Canadian born and now studying and living in Nottingham.
Currently I'm gearing up for a busy month ahead. Luckily it will be the perfect mixture of holiday fun and work.

Arrived back in Nottingham yesterday after two hectic weeks travelling between Blackpool and Liverpool.


Blackpool, where I was staying overnight, has quite the illicit reputation - famous as a tourist destination for those seeking a tacky alcohol-filled weekend escapade. However, after spending 5 months of my gap year there last winter/spring I have grown to love the place.





















During the day I was travelling to Liverpool, despite it being an hour and a half away by train. They were long days but thankfully I had a Railcard to cut the cost of my travel substantially. Liverpool, another one of England's great port towns, is a fascinating place. Unfortunately I usually don't get farther than the city archives where I do my research but when I do get out and about it's AMAZING.

I'm back in Nottingham for a week, during which we will have our Course Christmas meal and subsequent drinks into the early hours. I love how close-knit the School of History PG community has become. Having a support group (in a way) really makes the task of writing a thesis less daunting.

Next Friday I'll be back up in Blackpool til the 18th then it's off to Germany and Sweden until the 26th. Spending the last week of December back in England then headed back to Canada for some snow and quality time with my Torontonian friends. I miss them!

Anyway just an update on how I'm living, back to work I guess....

Take care

Emily

1 comment:

  1. Hi everyone,

    Back in Albany for spring semester 2010, and it's good to be back and see everyone! Had a hectic christmas break, went to Jamaica for just over a week which was really lovely and met my family out there! :) To have some sunshine was really nice! But the journey from jfk airport was awful! Due to the weather, the delays meant it took me a day and a half to get there... always fun!

    Um, after that went back to New York, and stayed with a good friend from Albany in Middletown, NY (upstate NY) and had new years with her which was really good... Then I visited some friends in Boston and saw Boston as well... visited Harvard and took lots of photos and bought some souvenirs and things... Boston= sooo nice. It seemed a really nice area, a less chaotic New York city.

    After that, I went to Canada skiing with the Albany ski trip which was literally incredible! Really enjoyed it, we were based in Mont Tremblant, which is in Quebec and it was the perfect place to learn to ski! I took a few lessons in the beginning to get me off to a good start and then it was all go from there! And the last day I celebrated my 21st birthday there, so the nightlife was just as good as the skiing :) The whole resort was really nice, it was all lit up at night with Christmas decorations, its different restaurants and bars. I would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking about skiing in Canada.

    Anyways, well that brings me up to date to now- back at Albany, so take care !

    Holly

    ReplyDelete