Monday 6 September 2010

USA, I love you!


Hi everybody!

My name is Veronika Poniscjakova, and I’m going to spend this whole year at the University of Connecticut in Storrs, CT.

When I left Slovakia with my uncle (obviously my family doesn’t consider me competent enough to get to the USA on my own in one piece), I was a bit scared, as I didn’t really know what to expect. Thankfully, everything turned out to be fine and I’m slowly getting used to life outside of Europe.

The first city I visited in the USA was New York. I fell in love with the Big Apple the very moment I got off the plane and I promised myself that I would move there one day no matter what! I spent five amazing days in NYC, but obviously that is not just enough!
Even though I’ve seen almost everything I could have, I believe there’s always something left to explore, there’s always something new that can surprise you!
I loved visiting the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, 5th Avenue was astonishing, Central Park was entertaining, I even went to the UN building, which was one of the best experiences I've ever had.
I guess I could easily get used to the lifestyle of 'The City That Never Sleeps' but I had to move on and start my new life in Connecticut.

The university reminds of our own university, except that it is enormous and extremely easy to get lost here.
The people here are nice and helpful (which you can appreciate after you get lost), and very open.
I didn’t find my hall too amazing though. It is one of the oldest halls on the campus, plus, having no air-conditioning in 95 °F is not exactly enjoyable either; However, I was lucky to get a nice roommate, which compensates the suffering caused by the bathroom - shared by 20 people!

The classes seem to be really demanding, I had to study from the very first day, I’m also taking Arabic, which may be challenging but I hopefully I won’t fail.
I hope that hard classes and being underage (the fact of which I’m not really fond) won’t prevent me from having an amazing time in the USA and hopefully I’ll have the time of my life here!

Cheers,

Veronika

No comments:

Post a Comment