Wednesday 2 February 2011

A new year brings a new semester!

Settling in to a new semester has been a lot more straightforward and less stressful this time around due to knowing the ropes at UF (also I luckily didn't have the worry of snow affecting my return flight!). We were warned that the weather was expected to get colder for January and February however we have been blessed so far with week long warm spells preparing us for the summer heat that will arrive in a few weeks.

Having been rather shocked with the quantity of workload I had to undertake last semester, I have chosen my modules wisely this semester ranging from modules on rock 'n' roll to ethical issues in American sport. Also, I have taken the opportunity to do an individual research module to allow me to do some useful research on my chosen dissertation topic as I have found my uni to be full of endless sources and articles.

Aside from work, so far this semester I have just been having fun getting to know the new exchange students. At UF in particular, we have a substantial amount of Australians which meant last week we celebrated Australian day - basically a day full of drink and BBQ's but a fun day none the less! Also, Tampa hosted Gasparilla 2011 last weekend. Gasparilla is a smaller version of Mardis Gras and a parade dedicated to pirates. It only lasts the one day but it is still atmospheric and a fun day out for whatever age you are!

America is currently football crazy with the Superbowl coming up this Sunday. Everywhere has superbowl themed events and food! The gymnastics season has also started at UF which is a very enjoyable event to see (however this may be due to me being a female!) and athletics will be starting up soon as well so although the football season may be over there are still lots of other sports to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment